Sunday, April 26, 2009

Technology Enhancement

I am not a teacher yet but I find myself gaining more and more knowledge with each assignment. I saddened that the semester is almost over because I would not feel as excited about finally entering the classroom if it had not been for the vast wealth of knowledge I attained from this class. I loved doing these lesson plans. I was second guessing myself going into it because I went off of a lesson that some of the students in my school had completed several months ago. I saw some of the completed posters and papers on a bulletin board in the hallway. I asked the teacher for her copy of the lesson plans but she never got them to me but I found something similar on Assignment Discovery. I found this site through the California Learning Resource Network. Amazing ... simply amazing. These sites are unbelievable and I know that they are used but are they being used to the enhancement of our students. I have asked several supposedly technologically advanced teachers in my school about some of the sites I have learned about in this semester and they don't seem to know very much about them. I have noticed in an increase in the power point slide presentations as an inclusion of technology but it doesnt completely help the students with the necessary hands on application of the concepts.

In the article, we read about the techno-constructivist and how our students need this teacher. I believe that after taking this class, I now understand about the necessity of the students trying it for themselves. The memorization, rote and recitation is old and it does not work for our digital age students. I am presently between a stage 2 and stage 3, using the computer to type papers, check my email, research surfing and chatting. But i am acclimating myself so that I will develop into a well-rounded, digital teacher. I understand students need technology because every employment position they will apply for in the future will require them to have computer based skills. I as a teacher understand to compete for the upcoming teacher positions I too will need computer based skills.

I love this class!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l3JbFHXsro

2 comments:

  1. Sharese,

    Your enthusiasm is wonderful. It is exciting for me to know I have been part of your transition.

    I have NO DOUBT you will be an extraordinary teacher and use these concpets you have learned.

    Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharese,
    You say, "the necessity of the students trying it for themselves." Yes. It is true. First off, we cant have them try something that we are afraid to face head on. And, you're completely right. Our students are beyond paper and pen. It's becoming something of the past. We dont realize how many schools have already made the full transition to technology in the classrooms. Our students can succeed the way we did it. We must constantly think, however, how much better they can really be if we force ourselves to understand that we need it as much as they do - for the students' sake.

    ReplyDelete