Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Inspiration??

I enjoyed the videos on this program. I believe that all this technology in the classroom is great for our digital kids, but unfortunately the students in the lower economic classes are suffering from lack of technology. They have the outside technology and limited in-school technology. The young lady in the video stated that her 3rd grade class used a smartboard and inspiration everyday for instruction, understanding and collaborative learning. I wish my students were exposed to these instructional materials because it might bring our school's classroom up to the classrooms of tomorrow instead of them still being the classrooms of yester-year. My kids have ipods, cell phones, sidekicks, pda's, etc., but in class they have a whiteboard and a chalkboard and six computers which are barely used. They do go on them but only to appease the Board's required time allotment for computer usage per month. Sad isn't it?? I guess i will have to start finding out now how to get these items donated to my classroom because i dont want to leave my school district but i would love to have some of the newer technology to see if i can't make a difference in the lives of my students through creativity, excitement and technology.

2 comments:

  1. Sharese,

    how true!

    One question...How do they use the computers? I had 3 in my classroom (that actually worked!), but created a system where they were used about 95% of the day through a cyclical rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right! The children at my school have all the latest ipods, cell phones, and big screen television in their houses but the school system have yet to catch up. There is not enough computers for each kid inside of the classroom. I have 19 kids and only 3 computers. One computer is extra slow to the point of, it doesnt even make sense to get on it,and the same computer freezes up like crazy. It is ridiculous! U have to do what you have to do, but it is a crying shame.

    ReplyDelete